Saturday, April 20, 2013

The effects of stress

Stress! The word we sometimes over exaggerate or in some cases ignore. Either way, it can have a big affect on our daily lives.


In the coming weeks I will be finishing up my junior year of college. That means professors cramming projects and tests. On top of that I have a 3 year old, who is definitely going through the terrifying three's and a household to take care of.
I swear I am not whining,  this is my stress.  I assure you I realize that there are people out there with A LOT more stress than I have. I am just simply making a point that we all have stress, whether it be minor or major! Its about how those stresses affect us.

This past week I started to feel really lethargic, insomnia set in, my body started to ache all over, I felt extreme anxiety, and worst of all I noticed my Crossfit workouts were dwindling.  I couldn't lift as much and I got tired faster. What was going on? Stress and anxiety, that's what!!

According to mayoclinic.com, the above are all symptoms of stress and if you are not careful it could seriously affect your health. Things such as heart health and high blood pressure (some call the silent killer) could affect you. Read more here, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-symptoms/SR00008_D





Funny thing is, working out and being active can help these symptoms and in some cases eliminate them. Crossfit and other activities can help you manage your stress's. According to webmd.com endorphin's, released while working out, can trigger a positive feeling in the body like morphine, hence the addiction LOL! Anywho, much more scientific info is available at the following site. http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression
But you get the idea. Working out can manage these stresses but over doing it can mean an overdose. So you must take it slowly and as your body allows especially under special circumstances such stress. 

My suggestion and what I am doing for myself is, listen to your body. My body aches and my workouts suck. I love Crossfit and for a week I haven't been, for a lack of better words, "haven't been feeling it". So I am taking a couple days off, and rebutting my system.  Sometimes that's what my body needs!

Let me remind you that this isn't an excuse to stop working out! This is a few days of rest (ie. 2 days) that will help me get back in the game. Completely forgoing Crossfit or any type of workout is not an option.  We all need this for everyday life and health. Stress is temporary.  Handle it as it comes not as an everyday excuse!

So I leave you with this, listen to you body BUT do not make excuses!

Yours truly, stressed Crossfitter,
Samantha









1 comment:

  1. This blog is very helpful for me to know about the effects of stress. The most effective natural way to reduce it is herbal stress relief oil.

    ReplyDelete